1 pound short pasta, such as cavatappi or macaroni
6 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk or half and half (that's what I use)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups very coarse fresh breadcrumbs
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 1 to 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain, rinse with cool water, and return to pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat 4 Tbs butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Add milk, cayenne, nutmeg, and 2 tsp salt; bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in cheeses until smooth. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
3. Melt remaining 2 Tbs butter; toss with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over pasta.
4. Preheat over to 375 degrees. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbling, 40-45 minutes.
1. Divide macaroni mixture into baking dishes ( 2 - 8x8 pans).
2. Cover with breadcrumbs.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
Freezer to Oven:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place frozen dishes on a baking sheet; remove plastic. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbling, 60 to 70 minutes for large dishes, 40 to 50 minutes for small dishes. Remove foil; continue baking until golden, 5 to 10 minutes more.