Meet The Freezer Friendz!

Looking for a way to simplify dinnertime in your home?
You've come to the right place!
Our freezer cooking recipes are sure to take the headache out of evening meal prep.
We invite you to leave comments after you try a recipe, as well.
We'd love to know what you think!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Fire Roasted Tomato Bisque






One day I went to Panera Bread with friends and tried their tomato soup and I was in love!!  The problem was I can't recreate a dish (I wish I could), so I began searching online.  I ran across this recipe on FoodandWine.com and thought it sounds hearty and delicious.  I made this adding extra vegetables and haven't turned back!  I make it in big batches and freeze it in portions my family will eat.  I pair this with a chicken parmesan grilled cheese or grilled cheese with roasted mushrooms and onions smothered in smoked chipotle Gouda!  



Ingredients:

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 medium carrot, finely chopped
  • 3 celery rib, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
  • Two 14 1/2-ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and freshly ground white pepper
  • 1/2 cup garlic or cheese croutons, for garnish (optional)

Assembly:

Chop the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic cloves.  Melt half of the butter in a large stock pan.  Add the vegetables, continue stirring until soft and brown, but not burnt.  Add flour and stir for about a minute until the flour is fully incorporated.  Add the broth or homemade chicken stock, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cover until vegetables are soft.  
Once the vegetables are soft, use an immersion blender to blend to the consistency you desire.  I prefer on the chunky side, so I blend less.  Continue blending if you prefer smooth.  Lastly, add the heavy whipping cream, 2 TBSP butter and salt and pepper.  

To bake:

Thaw in a bowl in the frog overnight.  Place in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer to reheat and ENJOY!  If you think last minute I want Tomato Bisque, place the bag in cold water to help quickly begin the thawing process enough that it can be broken into chunks.  In a sauce pan, add enough water to cover the bottom, place the chunks in, cover with a lid.  Stir occasionally until its thawed and warmed through, then ENJOY! 

2 comments:

  1. This soup was delicious!!! The kids prefer a smoother tomato soup, so I poured it in blender before heating it up. Only negative...there was only enough for 3 of us to have a full bowl (12 oz. each). The remainders bowls were only a 1/4 full. Not enough for 6 adults. However...best tomato soup I've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup was delicious! It wasn't enough for all of us, so I added 1lb. of bulk browned Italian sausage and a bag of mini cheese ravioli to it. That made it hearty and it was SO good! Far better tasting than canned tomato soup! Thanks for making it!

    ReplyDelete